We are seeking a scientifically excellent principal scientist to join our Oncology Translational Science (OTS) department in Vienna as soon as possible. The ideal candidate will utilise deep knowledge in cancer genomics and genetics as well as in cancer biology and an extensive scientific network to lead a research laboratory. The focus will be on translational biomarker research, mechanistic analyses of drug function as well as target identification to drive positioning of our advanced drug candidates and to ensure delivery of a portfolio that provides maximum benefit to patients.
This is a fixed term contract for 3 years with option for extension.
Tasks & responsibilities
- Direct a laboratory responsible for cancer genomics imbedded in cancer research, cancer immunology and biomarker discovery
- Capture, evaluate and implement emerging technology trends and drive implementation of such novel technology and share ideas across teams
- Present progress to management and to key stakeholders within organization and ensure decisions on requested resources
- Actively contribute to multi-disciplinary drug discovery teams including drug development, pharmacology, medical and marketing functions as well as efficiently interface with colleagues from computational biology, histopathology experts and from translational medicine
- Propose and coordinate collaborations with CROs, service providers, academic institutions and industrial partners
- PhD or equivalent degree in the life sciences with an in-depth understanding in genomics and genetics
- The candidate should be experienced with technologies used for genetic and epigenetics profiling of cancer cell lines, animal models and human biospecimens including tissues and liquid biopsies. This requires a deep knowledge in NGS-based technologies as well as in methodologies with single cell or spatial resolution
- Scientific focus on cancer genetics and molecular mechanisms driving initiation and progression of cancer as well as in translational research
- At least three years of post-doctoral experience preferably working in cancer genetics and biology
- Evidence of leading successful research programs with a convincing publication record in high impact journals
- Excellent team spirit, communication and presentation skills (English as a working language, basic German of advantage)
- Position specific training opportunities for your personal and professional growth
- Comprehensive health promotion, sustaining your health in the best possible way
- Additional off-days (bridge-days) for more leisure time
- Staff restaurant with a variety of lunch options for your daily well-being
We offer an attractive salary package in line with your qualification, experience and individual competencies. The base pay is composed of a market oriented excess payment and the respective amount according to the Austrian collective agreement (at least € 60,000 gross per year/full-time).
WHY BOEHRINGER INGELHEIM?
- Breakthrough therapies and innovative healthcare solutions for both humans and animals
- As a family owned company, we take the long view and stand for stability and sustainability
- Talented and ambitious teams, living innovation and growing together
- 50,000 employees globally, 2,600 in Vienna
Boehringer Ingelheim is an equal opportunity global employer who takes pride in maintaining a diverse and inclusive culture. We embrace diversity of perspectives and strive for an inclusive environment, which benefits our employees, patients and communities.
EFFECTS OF COVID-19
We will continue to hire talented people and we look forward to receiving your applications. For applicants, virtual video interviews will initially take place. During the limited in-person interviews we still have during this time, we pay special attention to distance and the recommended hygiene rules. We warmly welcome new employees to our 3-day onboarding event, which takes place in the form of an online event.
WE ARE LOOKING FORWARD TO RECEIVING YOUR APPLICATION ONLINE!
By uploading your application documents via our application portal we can treat your data confidentially and in compliance with the GDPR.
Ready to contact us? Do you have any additional questions about the position? Your HR Recruiting Manager for this position is Sonia Arzt.
On our career site you will find many interesting facts about us as an employer as well as information about the application process or our diverse divisions. Take a look behind the scenes and get an insight into our day-to-day business.
If the position is not relevant for you, but might be interesting for someone you know, you can still forward it to friends or colleagues.